Tuesday, May 8, 2012

juicy july 1994

In July of 1994 Kris Clark threw an amazing party called Juicy. Excellent Drinks had made its Smart Bar debut at Kris' previous major party Ten, his 10th major event. Chandra and I were doing the Smart Bar at Juicy, which was taking place on one of the Casco Bay Lines Ferries. While I had been going to Kris' parties since Deep in January 1993, I was still just getting to know alot of the people. One of the first people Kris had introduced me to was Dale Charles, DJ extraordinaire, who had moved back to California and was flown in to spin for Juicy. There was a pre-party on the deck of the Porthole Restaurant and then there was going to be an after-party at a place that used to be called the Cage. To tell you the truth, I really don't have too many details to report about the party. Dale, of course, was unbelieveable. Chandra had been diagnosed with Hodgkins Disease (Lymphatic Cancer) about two weeks before so it was very emotional for us. The Smart Bar was below the deck as were the turntables. We were having a blast downstairs but at one point I went upstairs and to me that was the most profound memory. It was absolutely beautiful out, we were motoring along on Casco Bay, and the VIBE was absolutely unbelieveable. Everyone was so blissful and people were smiling and hugging and making out and sharing backrubs and it was just one of those moments...It was like we'd taken our act out of the warehouses and gone first class. Truly magical.

The after-party was also a blast. All of us hung out on Wharf Street waiting as the club was readied. DJ MGee who had somehow missed the boat turned up to spin with Dale. Dale, Chandra (who adored Dale) and I sat at a table talking. In the morning many of us were enjoying the sun (amongst other things) in the patio the club had in the back alley. The most striking memory of the after-party I have is Dale playing a track with flutes that he always used to play (I still have it on an early tape I got from Dale) and Chandra and I dancing to it with complete and transcendental grace. Chandra was so strong, and so, so beautiful.

No comments:

Post a Comment